Thursday, October 7, 2010

Response to Caroline bauer

After reading Caroline’s article, I see a slightly different perspective to an almost identical response of mine. In my response, I focus mainly on how people should be allowed to donate and what system should be set up. In Caroline’s response, however, she focuses on the stats that help prove her point that selling organs can be an effective way to meet people’s needs. I also liked her focus on how it doesn’t hurt anyone to sell organs once one has deceased. It was really interesting on her perspective that an organ is a gift that will last forever. I do have to agree with her statements on increasing supply, as it was discussed in the BBC article, as well. The idea that it all is beneficial for everyone in the market never occurred to me before I read this article. I never really thought that decreasing prices due to increasing the supply would assistance both the buyer and the seller; the buyer in that there will be a wider variety to choose from, and the seller in that they will be able to sell an organ that otherwise would have gone to waste in their death or the death of a loved one. Having 2 doctors as parents, I do have to agree with Caroline’s statements towards the end of her response that focuses on the benefit the doctor will receive of just being able to help people due to the huge increase in the supply of organs. Her almost spiritual view of “your body living a second time in the life of another” gave me a different viewpoint on the subject as well. All in all, I thought Caroline’s response was very intriguing and overall interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment